I started a delectable collaborative Spotify playlist for us. It's for your favorite songs and instrumentals with great drumming...
Feel free to follow & add tracks you think we need to hear!
People in Pittsburgh help each other.
Join us Fri. Dec. 8 Moondogs Pub as we play to support Band Together Pittsburgh. These folks do important work enriching the lives of individuals with #autism and their families, through participation, education, and mentorship.
Share this post = GOOD on you.
With the final touches being put on the new record, to be released in 2018, the SKW are playing a number of great venues and benefit shows over the winter.
PS- We think you are reeealllyyy going to enjoy the new record- join us this winter to hear some of the new tracks!
We are excited to be playing a number of shows and festivals this summer. We hope you will join us and hear some of the new songs we are currently in the process of recording for the next album!
Jim Donovan and the Sun King Warriors will be playing a series of shows in December 2016 in Pennsylvania. The band is gearing up to hit the studio in January 2017 and will debuting an expansive body of new material.
Included in the December run are two live-on-air radio shows.
Thursday, December 15, 2016, WDVE Christmas Show Pittsburgh, PA: Club Diesel, Doors 6 PM, Also playing are : Donnie Iris, Joe Grushecky, Scott Blasey and Rob James (from The Clarks),
The Commonheart, Wreckloose, Paul Luc, Meeting of Important People (Josh Verbanis), Gene the Werewolf, Bastard Bearded Irishmen, Jim Donovan and The Sun King Warriors and Jimmy Adler.
December 2016 Shows:
Wed. December 28, 2016, Warrendale, PA, Jergels: Opening the show are very special guests Carlos Jones & The P.L.U.S. Band from Cleveland, OH who play deep and very danceable reggae. 8:30pm 11:30pm. GET TICKETS
Fri. December 30, 2016, Pittsburgh, PA (Southside), Kollar Club: Opening the show is very special guest, Singer-Songwriter Alyssa Smith. Doors at 7:00 PM, Show 8:00 PM. GET TICKETS
Sat. December 31, 2016 First Night Pittsburgh, Byham Theater, Three 45 min sets starting at 6:30 PM. All Ages. First Night Badge is $10, Ages 10 and under are free. GET YOUR BADGE
Released early 2016, Donovan’s debut album entitled ‘Sun King Warriors’ gained critical
national acclaim and wide non-commercial and AAA radio play. The Washington Times calls it
“One of the most eclectic and exciting discs to come out in some time” while Relix magazine
says: “Donovan channels unabashed enthusiasm into a series of songs that are both rowdy and
rejuvenating”. Sun King Warriors can be best described as a mix of Americana rock, with a
strong dose of tribal style drumming. Think Led Zeppelin III and IV mixed with Rusted Root’s
“When I Woke” era rhythmic intensity, and the authentic vocal emotion of Mumford & Sons.
Donovan’s single “Olalala” garnered radio play at over 72 stations throughout the US and
Canada this past summer and charted for several months on Billboard’s Americana chart.
The song reached #1 on two stations for multiple weeks (WAWL in Chattanooga, TN for 19 weeks and WBSD in Milwaukee, WI for 3), landed at Top 5 on 13 stations and Top 20 on 22 stations.
Throughout 2016, the band played shows throughout the mid-atlantic region including several high profile dates including:
- CD Release Party at Mr. Smalls, Pittsburgh (400+ People)
- 2016 The Great Blue Heron Music Festival, Sherman, NY (6k people)
- Hartwood Acres with Rusted Root, Pittsburgh, PA (10k people)
- Stage AE with The Clarks, Pittsburgh, PA (4k People)
- Great Rhythm Revival, Sherman, NY (250+ People)
- Headlining The Byham Theater for New Years Eve 2016 First Night Pittsburgh (1k People)
Donovan and the band plan to record the follow up in early 2017 in Pittsburgh with producer Sean McDonald and will continue to expand their fanbase by playing shows throughout 2017. Connect with Sun King Warriors on your favorite social media network by clicking one of the links below.
This week, Jim Donovan and The Sun King Warriors are happy to report rising on Billboard Americana charts to #200 (from #208 last week) and landing our 7th week at #1 at WAWL.
Here are a few highlights:
- 62 stations are playing Sun King Warriors.
- This week we peaked at #200 at Americana.
- 6 weeks at #1 at WAWL in Chattanooga
- #2 at WVPH in Piscataway, NY
- #4 this week at WBSD in Wisconsin
- #5 this week at WCXI in Danbury, CT
- #9 at WERA in Arlington, VA (DC)
- #20 at KXRN in Laguna Beach, CA
- We've charted @ 15 stations. One #1, three top 5, remainder top 20.
Would you like to be a part of the Sun King Warrior Digital Street Team?
Here's how you can help right now:
1. Find a station you listen to in the list below. If you don't currently listen to any of them, definitely check any of these stations out almost all have online streaming options. There is so much incredible music to discover on these stations as most, if not all, are not beholden to corporate interests, and thus, play a very eclectic and high quality mix of music.
2. Every so often, request Sun King Warriors at one of the stations listed below. 2x per week is plenty.
3. Always offer sincere appreciation and thanks- especially if they grant your request.
Every request and expression of appreciation you make to these stations helps to spread Sun King Warrior music to more people.
Stations Playing Sun King Warriors:
KEUL 88.9 FM Anchorage, AK Request on Facebook
The WAWL Chatanooga, TN Request on Facebook
WRRW-LP Norfolk, VA Request on Facebook
KRBX 89.9 FM Boise, ID Request on Facebook
KXUA 88.3 Fayetteville, Arkansas Tweet Request
KHSU 90.5, Arcata, CA Request on Facebook
WFWM 91.9 Frostburg, MD Request on Facebook
Ocean Beach Newport, OR Request on Facebook
WHRV 89.5 Norfolk, VA Request on Facebook
WVIA 89.9 Scranton, PA Website