Released early 2016, Donovan’s debut album entitled ‘Sun King Warriors’ gained critical
national acclaim and wide non-commercial and AAA radio play. The Washington Times calls it
“One of the most eclectic and exciting discs to come out in some time” while Relix magazine
says: “Donovan channels unabashed enthusiasm into a series of songs that are both rowdy and
rejuvenating”. Sun King Warriors can be best described as a mix of Americana rock, with a
strong dose of tribal style drumming. Think Led Zeppelin III and IV mixed with Rusted Root’s
“When I Woke” era rhythmic intensity, and the authentic vocal emotion of Mumford & Sons.
Donovan’s single “Olalala” garnered radio play at over 72 stations throughout the US and
Canada this past summer and charted for several months on Billboard’s Americana chart.
The song reached #1 on two stations for multiple weeks (WAWL in Chattanooga, TN for 19 weeks and WBSD in Milwaukee, WI for 3), landed at Top 5 on 13 stations and Top 20 on 22 stations.
Throughout 2016, the band played shows throughout the mid-atlantic region including several high profile dates including:
- CD Release Party at Mr. Smalls, Pittsburgh (400+ People)
- 2016 The Great Blue Heron Music Festival, Sherman, NY (6k people)
- Hartwood Acres with Rusted Root, Pittsburgh, PA (10k people)
- Stage AE with The Clarks, Pittsburgh, PA (4k People)
- Great Rhythm Revival, Sherman, NY (250+ People)
- Headlining The Byham Theater for New Years Eve 2016 First Night Pittsburgh (1k People)
Donovan and the band plan to record the follow up in early 2017 in Pittsburgh with producer Sean McDonald and will continue to expand their fanbase by playing shows throughout 2017. Connect with Sun King Warriors on your favorite social media network by clicking one of the links below.